Home    Work with Me    Blog   |   Speaking   |   Contact

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Simple Stuff



I recently drove across Sydney Harbour Bridge on my way to a very important meeting.

I always make a point of being early for meetings, so I can absorb the experience, the surroundings, and the quiet of waiting for the others to show up. This particular morning I was completely spoilt by my surroundings! As I mentioned: first, the Harbour Bridge in all its glory. As I drove across it I marvelled at the fact that it was built at a time when there was about 4 cars in Sydney (or was it 5?), and officially opened in 1932. These days about 160,000 vehicles use the bridge each day. What foresight they had way back in the 1920's when they began such a project!

 There's a lesson in that for us all: Live in today, and for today! But make sure to plan and allow for the future!


As this magical day unfolded, I was then welcomed by the spectacle of Sydney Harbour on a perfect spring day of 25 degrees C. As I was nice and early for my meeting, I went for a walk around Circular Quay which took me to the Sydney Opera House which was showing off its presence just by being there!

Of course I was spending time in and around one of the most picturesque places in the world, however, we don't have to be in Sydney, London, New York or Dubai City to be able to appreciate what is around us! Regardless of where we are every day - we are surrounded by beauty and splendour - if we care to look for it!

We are surrounded by nature's gifts: the clouds; animal and bird life; the sun; the moon; the stars.... enjoy them, as they're free gifts.

Fathers' Day jumped out of our social calendar recently here in Oz: and again, I felt blessed to be able to appreciate the simple, but priceless gifts that are in my life! My daughter hand-made me the best Fathers' Day card that I have ever seen! Wow! She took my favourite photo of her (when she was about 3 or 4); and created the most beautiful Fathers' Day card for me! A Priceless gift indeed!

We then shared a few hours of precious time together; walked around the foreshore of Newcastle Harbour; and marvelled at the beauty of our amazing surroundings!

Some of them will be the gifts of nature which are everywhere (when we choose to look); and some will be designed and built by us! Appreciation of what surrounds us costs absolutely nothing; and soon becomes a good habit to embrace and share with others. Here are a few more gifts that don't cost a cent!

Eight Gifts that Don't Cost a Cent!

This simple checklist can help measure how you are nurturing your relationships.

The Gift of Listening
But you must really listen. Don't interrupt, don't daydream, and don't plan your response. Just listen.


The Gift of Affection
Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends.


The Gift of Laughter
Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories. Your gift will say, "I love to laugh with you."


The Gift of Solitude
There are times when we want nothing better than to be left alone.
Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of solitude to others.


The Gift of a Favour
Every day, go out of your way to do something kind. Good deeds are cool.


The Gift of a Written Note
It can be a simple "Thanks for your help" note, or a longer expression of your appreciation for that person being in your life. A brief handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime.


The Gift of a Compliment
A simple and sincere, "You look great in red," "You did a super job," or "That was a wonderful meal" can make someone's day.


The Gift of a Cheerful Disposition
The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word to someone.


These are eight important ways we can contribute toward whole and healthy relationships. They cost nothing, yet they may well be the most valuable gifts we can ever offer another person.


Phil Evans
Phil Evans is a Personal Life Coach and Small Business Mentor specializing in Relationship Dynamics. He is a Keynote Speaker on Life Skills and a variety of Business Topics. Find out more at: www.peoplestuff.com.au

No comments: